My Uncle T




Me: Uncle T, I’m confused.
Uncle T: Why?
Me: Because I hate my job and yet I’m forced to do it.
Uncle T: Why do you hate it?
Me: Because it’s not something which I would have ideally liked to do with my time or life, had it not been for the money. Plus I think my boss and most colleagues are shallow people which no vision in life.
Uncle T: But the job pays you and you’re thankful for it.
Me: Um, yes.
Uncle T: So?
Me: But I’m depressed to go to office every day.
Uncle T: Because you’d rather not go to office?
Me: Exactly!
Uncle T: And yet you want the money and security of a job?
Me: Errr…
Uncle T: I think you know where I’m getting at.
Me: Ummm…
Uncle T: All you need is perspective. Stop being a spoilt brat who wants everything at her beck and call. There are times in life that are filled with compromise because this universe is not just about you or your petty wishes and expectations. There are times when things are about other people. You are not the center of the universe, you are just one of the specks in it.
Me: Errr…
Uncle T: If you want a salary, then you have to accept the cost that is associated with it. Else learn to live with less money doing what you would rather wake up to do every morning, for the rest of your life. Till then stop complaining and expecting everything to fall your way. Stop looking at what is not working according to your plans and desires. Look at the good that’s all around you and make the most of it. Smile till you are able to because things could be much worse.
Me: (smile)

And that’s how most conversations with Uncle T end for me. He is rough and brusque, but he is always 100% right. He believes in giving things your 100% and then knowing that only the best results will come your way. He believes in looking at oneself as the source of strength, happiness and joy for those around; and hence obviously becoming the source of joy and contentment for self.

He says that if we can depend on ourselves for everything, then we will stop looking at others as sources of meeting our needs. We will live a full life, making the most of everything that we have, being the best we can be. We will not waste any moment wanting things to be any other way because we will be so deeply involved and invested in every moment of our life. We will not idolize any other version of our life, because we will not want to let go of the current version knowing how beautifully it is full of potential for all things beautiful and perfect.

Thanks Uncle T for always being that harsh but wise voice that brings me back to the state of self-reliance that I always, always want to be in. Thanks HDFC for giving me this opportunity to talk about Uncle T – I love your message of making family live on their own merit! I loved your ad film that brings out this message in such a nice way...

p.s. My post is part of an Indiblogger activity

Comments

Popular Posts